Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Israel: Part XV--The BYU Jerusalem Center

The Jerusalem Center is a landmark. Everyone knows where it is, who the Mormons are, and the students. Even though we cannot proselyte in Israel, the Jerusalem Center tells many about the Church. The Center hosts concerts in the auditorium on Sunday nights, and the community, regardless of religion, comes to hear the music. The building is phenomenally beautiful, like everything the Church does.
When we arrived there and entered the gates, I felt the most comfortable there of any place we had visited, and I realized it's because the Spirit is there, and it's a Spirit that is recognizable to us as members of the Church. We all breathed a deep sigh of familiarity. And then we went looking for the immaculately clean restrooms!

The arches that can be seen from the city look like this up close.
The main floor entrance and lobby that welcomes visitors.
View of the Old City of Jerusalem from the Center.

The gardens around the Center are gorgeous!
John and I with Jerusalem in the background. This is the view during sacrament--it's not distracting at all!
The really nice, imported organ that no one gets to play except the Center's organist! And invited organists who perform in the concerts.

I was able to play the Steinway that is used for Sacrament meeting and piano concerts. Famous people have played that instrument!

No comments: