
As we travelled from the Dead Sea area (1400 feet below sea level), up to Jerusalem (about 2200 feet above sea level), we passed through the Judean Wilderness, which is on the backside of the Mount of Olives, to the east of the Old City. It extends all the way down the Dead Sea. Very little rain falls, so few plants and animals exist. It's also the place where John the Baptist is believed to have lived in the desert. There are still Bedouin people, shepherds, who live out there. While traditionally they were a nomadic people, living in goat hair tents and travelling with their animals, they now stay there in the Judean Wilderness. They can't be nomadic because of all the border controls. And they live in shacks made of tin, cardboard, and plastic rather than tents. I never got a chance to ask where they fit in the political spectrum of Israel, but according to Wikipedia, they are Arab Palestinians. Most are no longer agricultural and have been forced to live in urban townships built for them. I think those living on the land still have to leave sometimes because their homes are threatened.





1 comment:
Does it amaze you that we complain that we want a new couch or that we do not like the color of our carpet? When you see how differently others live I remember thinking about this when I was in Mexico so long ago. Thanks again for sharing your adventure.
Post a Comment