
The walls surrounding the Old City have gates allowing people in and vehicles in. I can't believe people drive in there, but they do. It's home to thousands of people, and I guess they own cars, but many of the streets are pedestrian only, so I don't even know where they would park the cars!
This is the Dung Gate, on the south side of the city. We entered here to get to the Temple Mount, Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall.

This is Jaffa Gate, on the west side of the city. It has a large, double lane vehicle entrance to the right, but we used the pedestrian entrance here, which is older and traditional.

Zion's Gate, on the southwest side, is under construction.

Coming out of Zion's Gate with Sheila. We went exploring. It's still possible to get into the city, even with the construction.

Damascus Gate, on the north, goes into the Muslim Quarter, and there are usually tons of people selling things there in the plaza outside the gate.

Lion's Gate, or St. Stephen's Gate: called this because it is believed that Stephen was stoned to death here. (Acts 7)

The Golden Gate, currently closed, on the east side of the city. The Muslims closed it up and then built a cemetery outside. They believe that if the Jewish Savior is going to come from the East, according to Jewish law he wouldn't come through a cemetery. Rabbinical law prevents that, I guess. Hence the cemetery outside the east gate.

No comments:
Post a Comment