
The Dead Sea scrolls were found in eleven caves northwest of Qumran beginning in 1947. The scrolls were made of papyrus, copper, or leather (the best preserved material) and were stored wrapped in linen inside earthenware jars. Scholars believe the fragments of manuscripts explain the beliefs of a religious sect of that time. The scrolls were written over a 300-year period, from 250 BC to AD 50. The Dead Sea scrolls include all the Old Testament books except Esther, along with other commentaries, prayers and songs, and rule-books.

What I found interesting is that scholars dispute the use of brass and gold as writing tablets when discussing the authenticity of Joseph Smith's account of the Book of Mormon. Some of the scrolls that were discovered were carved copper. Not the same as brass or gold, but still a metal used as a method of recording. I think people just used whatever material they had at hand.


Excavations in Qumran show a succession of settlements dating around 150 BC to AD 68. The last settlement was destroyed by Romans during the first Jewish revolt. Qumran appears to have been a refuge for people displeased with those controlling the temple in Jerusalem.

1 comment:
John & Tamara,
I'm enjoying reading your travelogue. Interesting. I wonder what kind of feelings there were at the places where so much history had taken place - the battle areas of mountain and flat you mentioned. Not much peace I imagine with all the "It's ours" attitude over the years.
Post a Comment