Thursday, May 8, 2008

Israel: Part VI--Golan Heights

The political situation in Israel is, of course, complicated. One of the things I really enjoyed about our guide was her simple explanations of the historical events, culture and the people that have influenced Israel and the surrounding countries. It's complicated, and my limited experience does NOT in any way qualify me for a political discussion. However, I may discuss some things that I found interesting. For further information, there are TONS of books out there, and when I've read some, I'll share.
Okay, the Golan Heights is an area on the eastern border of Israel that has been a constant border dispute with Syria. At one time, Syria owned everything east of the Sea of Galilee that wasn't absolutely flat. Since some of the hills roll right down to the shore, Israel basically had their enemy up above them on the mountain, looking right down into their backyards. Imagine the physical and psychological advantage! During the Six-Day War in 1967, Israel pushed the border back from the edge of the hills about 13 miles, and they have defended that disputed territory ever since. We visited a spot right on the top, at the northernmost border that divides Lebanon and Syria from Israel. There are old military bunkers there where the army used to physically defend themselves. We looked down into Israeli settlements, Syria, and Lebanon. Now, however, while the area is still disputed, it is a cold border, and tourist attraction, complete with coffee shop and ice cream stand. I think that means no fighting is going on, obviously because the military is no longer posted there.

Bunkers with cement walls to protect the walkways. Down under the hill is where they camped and presumably strategized.











This sign was funny. It shows distances in kilometers to major political places.






What's a UN bus doing at a tourist trap? Oh, and the junk hanging around my neck? That was all REQUIRED by the tour director. We called ourselves "human hangers."

No comments: