Thursday, September 4, 2008

Old Friends

At the end of my freshman year at BYU my group of girlfriends decided that ten years after the last one of us got married, we would go on a cruise together. When you're 18, you can't forsee that you'll have families with the accompanying responsibilities, budgets and no free time. I also still have one good friend that hasn't married, and one that just got married in July. We are currently deciding that maybe a cruise wasn't such a good idea, but the time has come for a reunion. While I have seen and still maintain letter contact with about four of them, there are a few I would like to see again. So, our plan is to meet at BYU (where it all began) for Women's Conference next year.

While I was in Seattle, I had the opportunity to visit one of those roommates and her family. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how her life is turning out. She married three weeks after I did, but waited a long time for children to come to their family. Finally, she has two little boys, 18 months and 6 weeks old.

True old friends are so wonderful. You feel like you are continuing a conversation from last week instead of 5 years ago. And there's something about the genuine love and acceptance you can feel from someone who has known you for 20 years. She knew me as a child, at BYU, and also saw me grow into an adult. She loved me in spite of my glaring weaknesses, which we all know manifest themselves the WORST in a roommate situation!

I loved BYU and the women who helped me on my path to becoming who I am today. They encouraged me to serve a mission, helped me learn how to be a good friend, and strengthened me in the gospel. Go Cougs!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those long time bonds are great! Enriching!