Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I'll admit it...I'm a Halloween Scrooge.  Really.  I hate Halloween--the costumes, the seeming celebration of all things evil, and the silly trunk-or-treat thing.  Why do we do that even in years when Halloween doesn't fall on Sunday?  Anyway, in spite of my dislike, my children LOVE Halloween.  I have to convince them not to get out decorations before October 1st, and they think the candy bowl needs to be filled ALL MONTH LONG.  Because of their enthusiasm, I am developing some family traditions around this holiday that I can live with.

We eat cheese fondue for dinner.


We make Halloween treats.


I help them with their costumes well in advance, so they don't have too much stress about what they are going to wear.  And in Texas, we don't have to dress for cold or rain.  Nice!


This year we even made some new decorations for the walkway.


I've tried really hard not to rain on their Halloween parade.
I'm even letting them keep ALL their candy this year.

3 comments:

Elder and Sister Schlager said...

It looks like a good time was had by (almost!) All! I had forgotten how good cheese fondue tastes on Halloween night. And the cupcakes are a work of art. Thank you for sharing.

jrushing said...

Well you did a good job of hiding your Halloween scrooge-ness! Love the milk carton ghosts!!

cjdustin said...

You really are going all out this year! A party??? I'm a Halloween scrooge too but I do try to step up for the kids. I enjoy celebrating Halloween for about 2 days and then I'm done!