Saturday, August 27, 2011

We Had Such Great Hopes


Yup, that's our garden.  Looks successful, huh?  My grandfather would be appalled.

Square-foot gardening (or any gardening, for that matter) in Texas is a bust.  Now, it may have more to do with the excessive drought we are experiencing than anything.  Today is day 72 or 73 of consecutive temperatures over 100 degrees.


My herbs were equally disappointing.  I planted them in these cute pots, and they sprouted, but then they just wilted and dried up in the heat.

While we were mowing the grass and cleaning up the backyard today, I was just sad about our garden.  Tiffany said helpfully, "You just need to figure out the growing season there."  That's true.  Maybe we'll give it another shot in October.  I would sure love to have fresh herbs!  And lettuce, and swiss chard, and peas....

4 comments:

Elder and Sister Schlager said...

We are in mourning for you. We actually had a LITTLE success this year. However, when we come to you, ours will die, and our peppers are just getting really great.

Elder and Sister Schlager said...

Maybe in Texas, you need a greenhouse???

cjdustin said...

Well, I still have green tomatoes and I planted early. We have opposite weather problems and equally unfruitful results. BooHoo!!

The Moarefdoust Family said...

Sorry, but that is hillarious!!