Seriously, it was on Mill Plain, between 24 Hour Fitness and Walmart. In the dark.
I have never minded running in the dark. It's always cooler, the air is fresher, especially at 20 degrees, and it was companionable with Tiffany. Dark is a necessity in Texas in the summer. When the sun comes out, it BEATS down on you. I know I've said this before, but the Texas sun is brutal. And when I see people running outside in the middle of the day, I think, "Poor you. Don't you know you can get up in the dark and you'll be so much happier?"
There are some differences here, though. For example, I run across all kinds of critters. Every shadow, stick, leaf or other black thing, makes me nervous. Could be a SNAKE, for heaven's sake!
Here's what I've seen while running in the dark:
crickets--no big deal, but they move fast.
fire ants--they are the clean-up crew of nature on the sidewalk. They EAT smashed crickets and worms.
worms--after it rains they all dry up on the sidewalk.
toads--big ones, like as big as my fist. Running across one of those guys in the dark makes my heart rate jump. They are a big three-dimensional shadow on the road. YUCK.
And one night, while out walking with John, we did see our first snake. It was VERY small, but gross just the same.
P.S. I wrote this with my shoes on.


1 comment:
I miss you!
Post a Comment