Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Austin, TX

About Austin....The first day we were absolutely appalled, and convinced we could never live there. It's brown, flat, humid, and everything looks like a one-story strip mall. The grocery stores were crammed with junk in the front (think Big Lots), and it was just UGLY!

We went over to John's office and looked around. It's a small site, only about 130 employees so far, but he felt comfortable. We talked to the Facilities Manager, who loves Austin, and even offered to sell us his home. We were invited to lunch with some executives who were really positive about Austin. (They wear cowboy boots and drive big Ford F-250s.) John felt really good about the job there, and we feel like this move may turn out to be a great opportunity for his career.

After meeting with a couple of realtors, we explored a lot of neighborhoods that are within about 20 minutes from HP. We don't want a long commute. There are nice neighborhoods with community pools, parks, walking trails, and green spaces. We met with several builders and walked through a dozen model homes. Then we attended three different wards. The church is the same, no matter where you go!

We did not go down into the downtown/university area of town at all, since that isn't where we'd live or probably visit very much. We can leave all the "Keep Austin Weird" stuff to explore with the kids when we move there.

So, we're moving....Anyone want to buy our house???

4 comments:

The Hedges said...

Oh my gosh, you're really doing it?!! That will be great having you guys just up the road. I'm not too happy to hear your description of Austin - I've heard it's the prettiest city in TX!

When will you be going?

Dannielle said...

I was wondering what you decided - I'll probably call you soon. I hope everything falls into place for you and the transition is a smooth one. Are the kids excited?

Steph said...

We will miss you here Tamara. Good luck on selling your house.

Allison said...

So it's finally official, huh? Wow... I'd love to buy your house. Any ideas how to scoop up and move Reid's business? Yeah, I wish it was that easy.