Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Nature Study


My "personal improvement project" for this year is going to be learning how to do a nature journal. In creating a curriculum for my kids, I have read a lot about nature study and keeping journals of the things you see and experience while outside. I found a book called "Keeping a Nature Journal" by Clare Walker Leslie, which taught me what to look for, gave some ideas for how to organize my journal, and included some basic sketching techniques. I am NOT an artist, nor do I have any semblance of artistic ability, but I think with practice I can learn to draw a few small things that will help me teach my kids.


Anyone who studies nature is called a naturalist. You don't need a degree or special classes, you just need an interest in the world we live in. So I want to become a naturalist. I also realized I can hardly name any of the plants, and I cannot identify a single bird. I have a lot to learn this year!


The illustrations are by Clare Walker Leslie. Aren't they awesome? This is what I want to learn.

3 comments:

Dannielle said...

I'm with you on the plant and bird names...I love looking and seeing birds someday I might get more into bird watching. I think it would be fun. Have fun with the nature thing...there are some cool plants and birds here I think you should come and visit - I'll take you on a nature hike :)

Elder and Sister Schlager said...

This sounds like so much fun--I wish I were there to join in. I think you are underestimating your knowledge, though. You know roses, pansies, rhodies, pine trees, lots of stuff. Go to mom's house with the kids and see how many you can identify. (She knows it all--helped plant them.) Also, Robins, Blackbirds, seagulls, herons, ... see, you know more than you think.

Mom

Tamara said...

Thanks, Mom! You are right, and everything I do know I learned from Grandpa, who really was a naturalist!