Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cookie Baking Tips


Years ago, my friend Karoleana and I decided to be super-neighborly at Christmas time and we baked several different types of cookies to give away.  I look back now, and I am embarrassed by what went on those plates.  All with the best intentions, of course.  Since that time, I have learned a few secrets about cookies.  There is nothing more satisfying than a chewy, warm, well-baked cookie.  Or a dozen.  (Not that I would know.)


This is what I have learned through much trial and error:  Cookies are difficult to master.  If you don't believe me, think of all the BAD cookies you have received from visiting/home teachers over the years.  And while the recipes differ, the basic techniques for success do not.


The best tips--from America's Test Kitchen:


1.  Preheat the oven.  Many baked goods rely on an immediate blast of high heat in order rise and develop the proper exterior.


2.  Prepare your pans.  I always use parchment paper on my cookie sheets.  It keeps the cookies from getting too brown on the bottom, and they never stick.  Also, I use heavy aluminum baking sheets.  They seem to cook more evenly.


3.  Choose the correct measuring cups.  Using the wrong type of measuring cup will result in inaccurate measures and failed recipes.  Liquids must be measured in liquid measures (glass or plastic cups with pour spouts and handles) and dry ingredients must be measured in dry measures (handled cups with straight edges so ingredients can be leveled off). 


4.  Use butter softened to the correct temperature.  If the recipe calls for softened butter, as most do, use softened butter.  Still-chilled or cold butter can result in flat, drab-looking cookies, because not enough air will be whipped in the butter when it is creamed with sugar.


4.  Scrape down the mixing bowl and beaters.  Use a rubber spatula to periodically scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and beaters to be sure that all of the ingredients are evenly incorporated.


5.  Rotate your baking sheets.  Switch your baking sheets from top to bottom and rotate from front to back, about halfway through the baking time.  This will help ensure that your cookies are evenly baked.


6.  Don't over-cook them!  Remove the cookies from the oven BEFORE they are browned. I always take them out when the tops are no longer shiny, but still puffed up.  Most cookies look barely set when, in fact, they are ready to come out of the oven.  I leave them on the cookie sheets for a couple of minutes to cool, and they flatten out a bit, but are still chewy. Then move them to a cooling rack.


Hopefully, these tips will keep you from having embarrassing cookie moments!  

2 comments:

jrushing said...

Ahhh man!! Now I have to go make some cookies! Great tips!

cjdustin said...

I love those tips! I have tried for years to get good at baking cookies and I am much better now than I was years ago. Much to my dismay, my 14 year old daughter (Avery) has learned very quickly to make perfect chocolate chip cookies!