Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Mothers' Day Weekend

So, before I realized it was going to be Mothers' Day weekend, I booked a flight to Seattle to visit my sister.  It worked out to be an EXCELLENT weekend.  Who says you have to spend Mothers' Day actually with the people you mothered? 
After shopping in downtown Seattle, we met my brother and his little guy for dinner in West Seattle.  Isn't he a cutie?


The next day, we caught the ferry over to Kingston so we could drive up to Port Angeles to catch the ship over to Victoria, BC.  Typical NW weather--cold and overcast.  I had to use half my luggage to pack sweaters that I haven't worn since January.

In Port Angeles there was some sort of duck festival going on, so these guys were all over town.  Don't know why, but we thought it was funny.  (We'd been up since 4:30 am.)

 At Beacon Hill Park in Victoria, we heard and then saw these crazy peacocks.  My sister was chasing them, trying to get good pictures.  They are loud!


I love totem poles, and the Native American heritage is alive and well in BC.


The sun did come out quite a bit while we were in Victoria, but it was still cold.  And we couldn't figure out how to get the heat to work in our hotel room.  I never complained because I knew I was coming back to Texas to spend the summer in miserable heat.  I soaked up the cold to save for later.

The beautiful Parliament building in Victoria.


 Inner Harbor with the classic Empress Hotel in the background.



We decided to trek up the hill and visit this old castle built in the 1880's by a coal magnate (so he could tower over the rest of the city) but the $16 admission to actually tour the place discouraged us, so we only visited the outside.  Pretty, huh?


Our weekend was fabulous!  I am so blessed to have my sister.  We are the best of friends and love spending time together.  Since we are so far away from each other, we don't get very many adventures together, so I appreciate the time we do have.

  And thanks to my husband who made the whole thing possible, including working from home so he could take care of the kids.
Happy Mothers' Day to me!

1 comment:

cjdustin said...

That looks like an amazingly fun trip! I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day!