I love camping when we can stay long enough to make it worth the effort. It requires the same amount of effort (and stuff) to stay for a week as to stay for one or two nights. And we can really settle in. After the first night of initial excitement, the kids are so worn out each day they just fall into bed. They rode bikes and scooters, ran around looking for rattlesnakes and freaking each other out, played at the playground, and had a great time together. No TV or movies or computer required!
The food is always great when we camp, too. Probably mostly because we're so hungry! We had some great dutch oven food, and a fabulous cherry cobbler. I always think we should cook that stuff at home, but it never happens. Maybe that's why it tastes so good--it seems a little special. We had great campfires and roasted s'mores, too. One morning, we had a fire going, so we ate s'mores for dessert after breakfast! The kids loved that!
I also don't mind sleeping in a tent. The girls have their own tent now, so I don't have dirty kids coming in and out of my space, which means my area stays pretty clean. We had some rain on Tuesday, and drove down to Coeur d'Alene for the afternoon, and when we got back our tents were still dry. We just snuggled in for the night and were fine.
The hardest part about camping is the clean up when you get back. The PILES of FILTHY laundry, the tub of utensils and dishes that needs to be cleaned out and organized, and of course, the dirty, wet boat and equipment. But it's worth it. The week was great and we're making memories with our kids that I hope will last a lifetime.



2 comments:
I take my hat off to you and everyone who loves camping! I'm sure my kids would love to do something like that sometime. It just seems like so much work!
You got some great pictures of your kids and it looks like they were having the time of their lives!
Post a Comment